Your data is safe in Notion. Everything is stored in the cloud, and we keep per-minute backups of your content on our server. That said, your data belongs to you, so we've made it easy to create your own backups and keep your information portable. Instructions below ☁️
Export your workspace
Your Notion data will always be backed up in the cloud, but you can also export all of it at once should you need local copies for safekeeping. Export lets you download all your pages as HTML, Markdown, or CSV (for databases), and any files/images you've uploaded, too.
If you're on an Enterprise Plan, you can export your workspace as PDF files, which can be helpful for legal and compliance backups.
- Go to
Settings & Membersat the top of your left-hand sidebar.
Settingsin the sidebar of that window.
- Scroll down and click the
Export All Workspace Contentbutton.
- You'll receive an email from Notion with a link to download your file(s). The link will expire after 7 days.
Restore from trash
Your trash doubles as a sort of archive, where you can easily recover pages you've deleted.
- To restore pages, go to
Trash, find the page you're looking for, and click on the curved arrow icon next to it. Your page will return to where it was last in your workspace. More on that here →
Restore from page history
You can view and restore past versions of any Notion page for up to 30 days (if you're on a paid plan). More on that here →
- Click the
•••menu at the top right of any Notion page. Choose
- To recover only specific content blocks from a previous version, click on that version, copy the content you want using
cand paste it into your current page.
- You can also restore an entire past version so it becomes your current version. Click the blue button that says
Accidents happen! 😅 If you accidentally delete a page, a workspace, or even your entire account, we can help! We keep per-minute backups of our database, which allows us to restore a snapshot of your entire content at any minute in the past 35 days if you need it. Everything is stored on Amazon Web Services, and the backups are automatically spread across multiple regions for redundancy.
- Send us a message in Notion by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile).
- Or email us at email@example.com.
Is there a way to schedule automatic backups?Not at the moment, but we have a public API and Zapier integration on the roadmap that may help to enable automatic backups in the future ⚙️
How can I migrate all my Notion content to a different account?
- Log into the account that has the workspace.
- Consolidate all of your pages under one top-level page there.
- Share this page with full access to the email address of the destination account.
- Log into the destination account and navigate to the workspace switcher.
- Access that shared top-level page.
- Select all the sub-pages, click the
⋮⋮icon and select
Move To. (Note: you can only move sub-pages, you will not be able to move the top-level page.)
- Select the destination workspace.
- Voila! Your content has a new home ✨
How can I empty my trash?There isn't a way to empty the trash all at once, since our trash feature functions more like an archive. This allows you to go back and restore deleted content whenever you need to. Keep in mind that pages in your trash don't count toward your block limit on the Free Plan. And you can always permanently delete pages individually by clicking on
Trashin your sidebar, then clicking on the trash can icon next to the pages you want to eliminate for good.
Something we didn't cover? Message us in the app by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ✌️