Notion has several features designed to improve and increase the velocity of communication with your team — whether you're all editing the same page or working across time zones 💪
1. Work together in real-time
You can edit the same page at the same time with an unlimited number of people.
- Their profile photos will show you where they're looking or working on the page.
- Edits and comments made by everyone will appear to you instantly.
Updatesat the top right on the page to see who made what changes and when.
- Content added is highlighted in blue.
- Gray strikethrough shows what's been removed.
- You can also see where people have left comments (more on that below).
2. Start a conversation
There are several ways to communicate with your teammates inside Notion — hopefully helping you cut down on meetings and status checks.
Mention a teammate
Want to get someone's attention on a page?
- Mention them by typing
@followed by their name anywhere on a page.
- You'll see a menu pop up that will search for the person in real time. Press
- They'll be notified of your mention with a link directly to it in
All Updates(or with a push notification if they are on the desktop or mobile app).
Leave a comment
Comments let you attach your thoughts, questions, or opinions to specific content on a page.
- To leave a comment on text, highlight it, and click
Commentin the menu that pops up.
- To leave a comment on an image, embed, or other type of block, you can click the
•••that appears at the top right or the
⋮⋮icon that appears to the left on hover. Choose
Commentfrom the menu that pops up. (You can also right click to bring it up!)
- You can @-mention your colleagues in comments to get their attention.
Open a discussion
Add a mini chat room to the top of any page for a more general discussion about its content.
- Hover over the top of your page and click
- Type whatever you want to say next to your avatar and click
- @-mention any of your colleagues to bring them into the conversation.
3. Never miss a thing
Notion is built for asynchronous communication. You'll be notified if someone needs you or if a page you care about has been changed.
- Click on
All Updatesat the top of your left sidebar. This is where we collect all notifications concerning you.
- If you've been mentioned, you'll see a red badge with the number of mentions waiting for you next to
All Updates. This disappears when you click to view them.
Followingto see a running list of changes that have been made on pages you follow — i.e. pages you've started, edited, or chose to follow.
Inboxto see a workspace-wide list of mentions for you. You'll see where and when they were made and by who.
- Click on any of these updates to go directly to the comment, mention, or edit in question.
- Learn more about updates here →
- If you have the mobile or desktop app installed, you may receive push notifications →
Something we didn't cover? Message us in the app by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at email@example.com ✌️