Every page you create in Notion is a fresh canvas. You can add whatever content you want. Follow these steps to master our most important creation tools ✍️
1. Create a new page
- Hover over your sidebar and you'll see several
+buttons appear. Click any of them.
- Or, at the bottom of your sidebar, click
+ New Page.
- Or, use the shortcut
- A brand new page will pop up with options to view templates or pick a type of page to build.
- For now, give your page a title and press
enter, which will give you a fresh, empty page.
2. Start writing
- Just start typing. You'll notice other features fade away, leaving you with your thoughts.
3. Give your writing some style
- Highlight any text to bring up this menu of style tools:
- Make your type bold, italics or strikethrough. All the usual shortcuts apply →
- Turn text into a hyperlink with
Linkor format it as code with
- Change text color or highlighting with the dropdown menu
- You can also change text font and size from the upper right
•••menu on your page (along with page width):
4. Access options
- To delete, duplicate, move, color, transform, or copy an anchor link to a specific block of content, hit the
⋮⋮icon that appears to the left on hover. Or right click on the block.
- A menu will pop up that looks like this:
Turn Intooption lets you transform a block into another type of block. For example, here's how you'd turn this text block into a quote block:
5. Try a slash command
/brings up a powerful menu of content options.
- Add any type of block by typing
/and scrolling to the one you want or typing its name. For instance,
/h1creates a large heading, and
/todocreates a checkbox.
- Try this out. Add two H2 headers one under the other. Like this:
- Now let's add a bulleted list under one of them using
- In your list, press
Tabto indent and add sub-bullets.
/to create new pages inside your page, add an embed, upload a file, add color to a block (i.e.
/red), and more. For instance, here's what it would look like to add an image:
6. Move your content around 🏗
- Anything in Notion can be moved with drag-and-drop. Just click and hold the
⋮⋮icon that appears to the left of a block on hover — it's your handle for dragging!
- Create columns with drag-and-drop, like this:
- Use drag-and-drop to rearrange and remix your thoughts. Any text or block can be picked up and dragged wherever you want it.
7. Dress up your page
- Give your page some personality with an icon or cover.
- Hover over the top of your page to see these options.
- Choose an emoji icon for your page to make it memorable 🙌
- Add a cover to bring more art into your work.
- You can upload your own icons and images to pages too — like your logo or photos you love!
Something we didn't cover? Message us in the app by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ✌️