Want to work in Notion with someone outside your team or company? You can invite guests to view or edit as many pages as you want. They'll only see what you want them to see, and you can give them different viewing and editing capabilities.
Guests vs. members
Guests are individuals external to your team who you invite into your workspace on a page-by-page basis. Common examples of helpful guests include:
- Contractors or interns who are working with you temporarily.
- If you're a contractor, you might invite your clients to work on pages as guests.
- Friends, family, mentors, etc. that you want to have contribute to or review your work.
Here's how the Notion experience is different for guests:
- They can't be given workspace-wide access. They must be invited to individual pages in order to view them and their sub-pages.
- They can't create new pages outside of the ones they have access to.
- They can't be added to groups of members. More on those here →
- They can't adjust workspace settings or billing information.
- They can't add new members to your workspace.
- Otherwise, they have the same capabilities as all other members.
Add a guest
On any page you want to share with a guest:
- Go to
Shareat the top right.
Invite a Person.
- Enter the email address of any guest you want to invite.
- Select a level of access for that guest from the dropdown and press
- They'll receive an email with a link to the page.
- If they don't already use Notion, they can sign up to access your page.
Change guest access levels
Once you've added a guest to a page, you can always change their level of access later 🔒
- Go to
Shareat the top right. You'll see the page's guests listed in the dropdown menu.
- Click the menu to the right of a guest's name. Choose which level of access you want to grant that guest from the following options:
- Full Access: They can edit and share the page.
- Can Edit: They can edit the page's content, but they can't share the page. (This is only available on paid plans.)
- Can Comment: They can only read and comment, not edit or share.
- Can Read: They can only read the content, and can't share it.
- Remove: Revokes their access to the page.
View guests & permissions
You can see a list of all the guests in your workspace and the pages they each have access to by clicking
Settings & Membersat the top of your left sidebar and the
- Under your list of workspace members, find your list of guests.
- To the right, you'll see how many pages each guest has been invited to. Click to see or hop to the pages they can access.
- On any of these pages, you can edit their level of access or remove them.
Turn guests into members
Give any guest the ability to view your entire workspace by turning them into a member. Note: On Team and Enterprise plans, you'll be charged for each additional member.
- Go to
Settings & Members.
- Scroll down to find your list of guests.
- Click the dropdown to the right of the guest you want to convert. Select
Convert to Member. They'll be moved to the bottom of your list of members.
- In your member list, you can choose to make this person an
Adminor to remove them from your team.
- Only admins can change workspace settings and invite new members.
To remove a guest from a specific page (they may retain access to other pages):
- Go to
Share, find the name of the guest, click the dropdown to the right of their name and select
To remove a guest from all pages in your workspace at once:
- Go to
Settings & Members, scroll down to find the right guest and click the dropdown to the right side of their name.
Remove. They'll no longer be able to access any pages.
I tried adding a guest to my workspace but they were turned into a member automatically. How can I prevent that?You may have the
Allowed Email Domainssetting turned on. When enabled, this feature allows people with that email domain to join your workspace as a member automatically. You can disable this setting in the
Settings & Membersin the left sidebar.
Is there a limit to how many guests can I add?Nope, you can add an unlimited number of guests on both free and paid plans. The more the merrier!
How can you turn a member into a guest?
- Go to
Settings & Members, scroll down to find the right member and click the dropdown to the right side of their name.
Remove. When you do this, they will lose access to all their private pages in this workspace, so make sure they have their private pages backed up elsewhere before you do this.
- Once they've been removed as a member, you can re-add them as a guest from the
Sharemenu at the top of any page.
- Go to
Something we didn't cover? Message us in the app by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ✌️