Notion makes it easy to create and copy links to both whole pages or individual content blocks inside pages (like an anchor link to a particular heading, text, image, etc. ⚓️). This lets you create and share links that take people directly to what they need.
Link to pages
There are several different ways to link to a whole Notion page. Here's a rundown:
- When you create a page inside a page, you're essentially creating a link to that page. You can create a new sub-page by clicking the
+in the left-hand margin and choosing
Page, or typing
- You can create a link to another page in your workspace as a block. Click the
+in the left-hand margin and choose
Link to Page, or type
/link to. This will open up a menu of all pages you have to choose from. Type the name of the page to add it.
- Create an in-line link to another page in your workspace by @-mentioning it. Just type
@followed by the name of the page you're linking to. You'll see results pop up in real-time. Select the page you want, and you'll see a gray link to that page appear.
- In the left sidebar, hover over any page and click the
Copy Linkto get the URL to that page. You can also right click on any page to bring up this option. You can paste that link anywhere you want.
Shareat the top of any page. Select
Copy Page Link. This will copy the page's URL to your clipboard.
- When you select text and paste the URL to a page over it, that text becomes a link.
Link to content blocks
Every content block in Notion has its own anchor link that can be copied and shared.
- To link to a block, hover over it and click the
⋮⋮icon that appears to the left. Choose
Copy Link. This will copy the URL of that specific block to your clipboard.
- You can also right click on any block to bring up the
Open Notion links on the desktop app
- To open any URL to a Notion page or block in the desktop app instead of your browser, just replace the https part of the address with notion. Like this:
- On browser, click on
•••at the top right of any page and choose
Open in Mac Appor
Open in Windows Appto achieve the same thing.
How can I open links in the desktop app automatically, instead of to the web app?There isn't way to automate that at the moment, unfortunately, but we're working on it! For the time being, you can use the
Open in Mac/Windows Appbutton in the
•••menu at the top right of the page.
What's the difference between @-tagging a page, and a
Link to Pageblock?Great question!
Link to Pageworks kind of like creating a sub-page, and is exposed in your sidebar as a sub-page. Because of this, you can't link to the same page more than once per page using this method@-tagging a page creates something more like a hyperlink. You can @-tag a page as many times as you like on a single page.
Something we didn't cover? Message us in the app by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at email@example.com ✌️