Notion is set up to notify you whenever you're mentioned in a page or database, for reminders, and when updates/edits have been made to a page you care about.
- You'll receive push notifications on desktop and mobile if you have those apps installed.
- Occasionally, you'll receive email notifications so you never miss a thing.
Below, we describe how notifications work, and how you can modify them.
How notifications work
There are four ways notifications are triggered:
- Someone @-mentions you on a page or in a comment or discussion.
- You're added to a
Personproperty in a database.
- You set a reminder for yourself to show up at a certain time.
- Someone makes changes/edits/revisions to a page you started or follow.
- (Don't worry, you won't be actively alerted to these with push or badges, but you will receive an email aggregating edits if you haven't been signed into Notion).
- You can always view all edits made on a page by clicking
Updatesat the top right.
Types & timing
There are several ways these notifications will reach you:
- You'll see a red badge with the number of notifications waiting for you next to
All Updatesat the top of your sidebar. Learn more about updates here →
- Desktop push notifications show up if you have the app installed and open.
- Mobile push notifications show up if you have the app installed and you haven't checked the notification within 5 minutes.
- Email notifications are sent if you don't have Notion open at the time of the notification, or if you have mobile notifications turned off and you haven't seen a notification within 5 minutes.
- Integrate with Slack to have notifications show up in the channel of your choice whenever changes are made to a certain page.
You can turn any of these types of notification on or off by going to
Settings & Members→
My Notifications, and then toggling them on or off for:
- Mobile Push
- Desktop Push
On mobile, click on
Notifications & Settingsnear the bottom of your sidebar to toggle mobile push and email notification settings on or off:
I'm not receiving any mobile or email notifications, but I have them enabled.If you have Notion open on a mobile device or computer, you won't receive push or email notifications for reminders — you'll only see the badge next to
All Updates.If Notion is not open on your mobile device or computer, then you will receive a push or email notification.
Is there a way for the notifications to make a sound or vibration?Not at the moment, unfortunately 😓 On our to-do list though!
Something we didn't cover? Message us in the app by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at email@example.com ✌️