You can use Notion on your Mac in two fully-functional forms: in your browser or as a downloadable desktop application. Here's what you need to know.
- To use Notion in your browser, go to www.notion.so and click
Log Inat the top right corner.
- Log in using your email address.
- Here's how Notion looks on Safari:
- To get the desktop app, go to www.notion.so/desktop and click
Download for Mac.
- Open your Finder and go to Downloads.
- Open the .dmg file and drag Notion into your Applications folder.
- Open the Notion app and log in using your email.
Why use the desktop app?
- Notion's desktop app is a clean, distraction-free interface without all the temptation of tabs.
- You'll receive push notifications when something important happens inside Notion – i.e. someone mentions you, assigns you a task, or you set a reminder for yourself.
- You can use the desktop app to edit pages offline.
- Here's how the desktop app looks while you're editing:
Update your desktop app
Notion updates automatically! We push updates on a regular basis with bug fixes and performance improvements, and you'll see a blue banner at the top of your screen every few weeks when we ship new features ⛵️
- Click the
?at the bottom right of Notion to see the last time the software updated.
- If there are new features that you can't see yet, try refreshing with
- Very rarely, you may need to re-install Notion to see an update. We'll let you know when that's the case and tell you exactly what to do.
Does Notion have a Linux app?We don’t have a Linux app at the moment and don't have any immediate plans for it, unfortunately 🐧 For the time being, you can access Notion with your browser.
Any plans for a tabbed interface?Not in the immediate future. For the time being, you can hold
cmd/ctrland click on a page to open it as a new window in the desktop app. That way, you can see the two windows side by side. Alternatively, if you use our web app, you can use browser tabs 🗂
How do I update to the latest version?Notion updates automatically! If you click the
?at the bottom right of Notion, it will show you the last time it updated:If Notion hasn't updated for a few days, you can usually force an update by refreshing with the keyboard shortcut
Something we didn't cover? Message us in the app by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ✌️