When you sign up for Notion, you can create multiple workspaces connected to your account. Each one can be customized to your liking with workspace-specific settings. Here's how to manage every aspect of an individual workspace 🕹
Access workspace settings
To see your workspace management options, go to
Settings & Membersat the top of the left sidebar. In the window that pops up, click on the
In this window, you can:
- Change your workspace name: We recommend keeping it short and simple 😙
- Change your workspace icon: Click on it to choose an emoji or upload your own image. Ideal dimensions are 280px by 280px.
Create a custom URL for your workspace
Create a short, custom, and memorable URL for your workspace. This makes it easy to brand your workspace to match your team or company, and share it with others!
Domain, fill in what you'd like to complete the URL: www.notion.so/
Allowed email domains
Make it simple for people with certain email address domains to automatically join your workspace as members. As soon as they sign up, Notion will recognize their email and ask if they want to join your workspace.
- Use this so all new employees who join your company can easily join your shared workspace. All they have to do is sign up for Notion with their work email.
- Adding multiple domains is convenient if you're working with outside parties — like a design or PR agency. Add their email domains so they can easily join your workspace, too.
- Bear in mind that you'll be charged per member on Team and Enterprise Plans.
Workspace security & sharing options
Depending on how you're using your workspace, you may want to keep the data you have in it private or internal to just your team. Under
Security & SAML, you can toggle on or off a number of options to restrict (or allow) sharing abilities.
Here's a quick overview of these options. Note that they pertain to members in your workspace, not the admins who will be able to edit these settings. To learn more about members and membership settings go here →
- Prevent public sharing: Don't let members publish pages to the web. More on public pages here →
- Disable guests: Don't let pages be shared with people who don't belong to your workspace.
- Disable moving pages: Don't let members move pages to other workspaces. Especially helpful if you have a lot of people and a lot of pages. It can get confusing fast, and some people may lose access when pages get moved.
- Disable export: Don't let members export pages. This ensures that all your data stays in Notion rather than having different versions saved as Markdown or CSV.
Want to pull your data off Notion and keep it on your hard drive? You can export a whole workspace at once as CSV, Markdown, HTML or PDF:
Export Entire Workspace.
- We'll email you a link to download a zip file containing your exported pages.
- Open the zip, and you'll see all your Notion pages saved in the format you selected.
- You can only export as PDF if you're on an Enterprise Plan.
Leave or delete workspace
If you no longer need to be a part of a workspace, you can leave it or delete it. Just click, and you'll be asked to confirm (just in case!). These options are at the bottom of your workspace settings window.
A few things to know about this:
- If you leave a workspace, you can always be added back. Let's say you've been doing some contract work with a team and that project ends. You can leave their workspace and then be invited back by an admin when your contract is renewed.
- Consider deleting your workspace to be permanent. There's a chance that we'll be able to recover your data within 30 days of deletion (if you're on a paid Notion plan). But we can't guarantee it.
- If you want to try to restore a deleted workspace, send our community support team an email. We'll get right back to you!
I'm on a Team Plan, but don't see any of these settings in
Settings & Members?Only admins can access these workspace settings. If you navigate to the
Memberstab, you'll see whether you're a guest, member, or admin in the workspace. Ask an admin in your workspace to upgrade your membership status if necessary.
I tried adding a guest to my workspace but they were turned into a member automatically. How can I prevent that?You may have the
Allowed Email Domainssetting turned on. When enabled, this feature allows people with that email domain to join your workspace as a member automatically. You can disable this setting in the
Settings & Members. Just remove the email domain from this section.
Does Notion support custom domains?You can customize part of your URL by following these instructions. For example, if your company is called Acme Inc., you could customize your URL to www.notion.so/acmeinc, but not www.acmeinc.com (quite yet, that is!).
How can I migrate all my Notion content to a different workspace?To move your content from one workspace to another associated with the same account, click
•••next to each of the top-level pages in your sidebar (or right click) and select
Move To. You'll see the option to move them to another workspace. When you move top-level pages, all their sub-pages go with them. They'll appear in the
Privatesection but can be moved wherever you want to put them.If you'd like to move content from one account to another, follow these steps:
- Log into the account that has the content you want to transfer.
- Consolidate all your pages under one top-level page in your sidebar.
- Share that page by clicking
Shareat the top right, hitting
Invite a Person, and typing the email associated with your other account. Make sure
Full Accessis selected from the dropdown.
- Now, log into the account you just invited to share this content.
- Click on the name of your workspace at the top of your left-hand sidebar to open the workspace switcher. Go to the top-level page that you just shared.
- Inside that page, select all the sub-pages, click
Move To. Select the destination workspace, and your content will be there! ✨
What if I accidentally deleted something permanently? Any way to get it back?If you accidentally delete a page, a workspace, or even your entire account, we can help! Accidents happen 😅Just send us a message in the app by clicking
?at the bottom left on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at email@example.com.We keep per-minute backups of our database, which allows us to restore a snapshot of your entire content at any minute in the past 30 days if you need it.
Something we didn't cover? Message us in the app by clicking
?at the bottom right on desktop (or in your sidebar on mobile). Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ✌️